Wednesday, September 25, 2013

Ab Jayenge Kitni Door...

"I remember, a 13-14 year old boy, wearing khaki shorts and a white shirt had come to take my autograph. I remember, I was recording a song with S D Burman sahab when the small boy came and Burman dada told me he was his son - Pancham...and that he is learning to play sarod. This was the first time I had met Pancham!"

This is what Lata Mangeshkar said in one of her interviews about RD.

As compared to Asha, RD had a different - & I think almost reverential kind of - relationship with Lata. It reflects in the kind of songs he chose her voice for - songs which manage to somehow slip in right through to your soul. From his first movie "Chhote Nawab" to his swan song "1942 - A Love story" - she was there - at a number of milestones through this journey.

With Lata Mangeshkar's birthday coming up later this week, I would like to continue showcasing some more compositions where RD & Lata are sheer magic to the ears.

Let me start by this song - picturised on Saira Banu - looking so sensuously beautiful in what to me is one of her best ever performances, and the combination of Lata-RD radiates the youthfulness in a manner that makes you want to fall in love with her. No wonder Sunil Dutt does so.

Movie - Padosan


Lyrics - Rajinder Krishan

Song:


No comments:

Post a Comment